From:
Mark Shanks <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 8 Mar 1999 11:10:25 -0700
Ye Olde John Smyth writes:

>I have seen many on the list express disdain regarding the idea that the
>Titanic soundtrack is being passed as CM by the industry.  My link to CM
>was John William's "Star Wars" soundtrack, given to me along with a Sound
>Design stereo in 1977 at the age of fourteen by my parents.

I will be the first to admit that it was the sountrack album for "2001"
that first inspired my interest in classical music - new stuff then when
I was 14, way back in '68.  And I encourage *my* son in *his* taste for
orchestral soundtracks.  His favorites ("Last of the Mohicans", "Conan",
et al) *are* a good gateway for the neophyte.  But none of *them* have the
pretention to self-label as "classical".  I believe that is the source of
any irritation.

Mark