From:
Brad Jackson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 8 Mar 1999 14:51:16 -0500
Sam Pawlett wrote:

>Its interesting how many people (like me) came to classical music through
>jazz.  I've only been into classical music for a few years (I'm 26) but my
>appreciation and playing of jazz has been enhanced by my love for classical
>music.  Interesting stuff.

This maybe a digression from the original point but does provide a yin
for my yang.  I, now 38, have been exposed to classical music from birth -
a avid fan for a father, a professional musician for a sister - but I have
discovered Jazz while rooting through the 20th century.  What has impressed
me about Jazz, regardless of musical cross-training or trans-cultural
influences (there are marked differences between these genres that may not
be easily shared or transposed) is the musician's extreme dedication to
the difficult craft of making "Jazz".  I found sympathy with my family's
classical fanaticism when, as a young man, I ushered for my hometown Indpls
Symph Orch under Raymond Leopard and was allowed to witness the musician's
pre-performance preparations.  The exacting and idiosyncratic rituals these
dedicated artists performed every night were a valuable lesson for me in
understanding one of the most important gifts an artist can give - to
attempt to do something difficult better than it can be done.  Now in NYC,
with the musicians at the many Jazz venues I enjoy, I have found the same
obsessive dedication to musical craft, the same respect for their genera's
traditions, and the same desire to exceed expectations that I witnessed
with the ISO of my youth.  Jazz is a rich and difficult music with talented
practitioners dedicated to exploring and expanding it's traditions and
conventions.  This is the keystone of any Jazz/classical unity.

Brad Jackson