From:
Donald Satz <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 26 Feb 1999 09:20:38 PST
Thanks to Jynn Tan for providing the list of this year's classical music
Grammy Award winners.  I've always thought that these awards were somewhat
"squirrelly" with Solti usually taking center stage, somewhat parochial,
and generally predictable.  This year is no exception, except that Solti
is no longer with us.

I'm not suggesting that any of the winning recordings is not fine, but that
the Grammys do not really provide a good picture of the year of classical
recordings.  I don't know who the folks are who get to vote for these
awards, but I think that most members of this list would do a much better
job of it.  Come to think of it, the Grammy folks should poll us each year
and go with the results.

Don Satz

 [You can read all about the NARAS Academy and the voting process at their
 website: http://www.grammy.org/  -Dave]