Date:
Thu, 18 Mar 1999 01:28:58 -0500
It's so long since I posted, I'd better say who I am. Anne Kirkham, IBCLC. I
work as an LC 3 days a week in a busy breastfeeding clinic(hospital based).
Do PP Breastfeeding class. Also LLLL in my other life.

I'm looking for some articles that have addressed the issue of the 'mucousy
baby' and the use of 5% glucose water to "help" these  babies to get
interested in feeding.

 At my hospital (for shame I know, Jack) we are trying to reduce the amount
of non breastmilk liquids used by the nursing staff to help solve
breastfeeding problems. Supplements are not to be suggested if the baby is
nursing infrequently in the first 24 hrs or hasn't even latched yet. Lots of
skin to skin, expressing a drop of colostrum to baby's lips and the like is
the protocol. The issue causing a conundrum with some of the nurses is:
Their collective experience that if "he could only get the mucous up then
would stop gagging and making faces at the breast." The feeling is that a
bit of water is more kind than using suctioning.

Have there been conclusions drawn about this? In the archives I read about
some cases of leaving the baby alone for 36 hours and Anne Merwood asked
about a baby who was 48 hours old.(mar/98) I didn't see any responses to
this. What happened with that baby?

Is there an article by A.M Widstrom? I have looked in the BAB, Bf &
Hum.Lact.,and Ruth Lawrence,'94 and have found no discussion. There is
plenty of info on the water increasing jaundice issue but not on this
mucousy matter.

I would appreciate any help in finding ammo. uh,I mean articles.

Thanks,

Anne