From:
Patrica Young <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 17 Mar 1999 22:29:02 -0500
Dear Elisheva, now we have an even better model in the US (I think it is
better, ie: better than nothing).  It is a pretty accurate weight "baby"
that has a computer chip.. Students take it home at night.  Have to use a
key to treat baby appropriately when it needs care.  It records care,
neglect, abuse, crying.  It comes in a "crack" baby model too (cries ALOT).
 I was talking to a HS class last week.  One of the students was moaning
and groaning about how her "baby" had the whole house awake at 3 am!
(Actually I think it malfunctioned because it cried for 3 hours!)  But the
important thing is her baby's recording showed appropriate care, no abuse
and she got a real dose of life with baby.  And the whole class got to talk
about how babies aren't convenient and cry for hours sometimes when they
are sick.

Of course this whole thing will make KD ill, but it does give US kids an
opportunity to experience something sort of like reality with a baby.

P.S. the one lone male in the class asked what the dad can do with the baby
if mom is BF.  I gave him an A for the day for best Q.   Sincerely, Pat in
SNJ