From:
Diane Wiessinger <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 26 Feb 1999 16:28:04 -0500
>after Marsha and
>Jack's posts on lactose I'm not too thrilled about eliminating lactose from
>the diet.

As I understand it, by adding lactase to expressed bottles of milk, the
lactose is broken down *as it would be in the baby's gut* into galactose.
You're just using an external form of lactase rather than relying on the
internal form.  So treating expressed milk to make it "lactose-free" is not
at all the same as feeding a baby a "lactose-free" formula that substitutes
some other sugar for lactose.

Diane Wiessinger, MS, IBCLC  Ithaca, NY