From:
Susan R Potts <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 11 Mar 1999 11:54:28 -0600
To Faylene in Montana, and all,
    Sounds like you are in a tight spot with this couple!  The Dad may be
interested in some of the dental/jaw development benefits for breast fed
babies, that fewer of them require orthodontia when older (not a blanket
guarantee, but fewer breast fed children require braces compared to their
bottle fed peers).  How the action of the thrusting of the lower jaw
during suckling at breast is healthy for the jaw and helps for a better
bite for upper and lower teeth.  Also a lesser rate of snoring and sleep
apnea among breast fed people, see the June 1998 JHL for Brian Palmer's
dental research.  Also American Journal of Preventive Medicine 1987
p.227-232.   I'm having trouble with some of this fine print, I'm trying
to quote from some material from Bright Future Lactation Resource Center,
compiled by Linda Smith (coach).  Maybe you can get it.
     I sometimes tell parents that the first couple of weeks of
breastfeeding can be difficult, it is a learning time for both mother and
baby, neither have ever breastfed before!  But it usually becomes easier
with practice, baby learns how to nurse and mom's become more comfortable
handling baby and her body gets practice making milk and letting down.
    Good luck, let us know what happens!
     Susan Potts Rn IBCLC   Minnesota

or call Juno at (800) 654-JUNO [654-5866]