Date:
Thu, 11 Mar 1999 15:17:03 -0500
LLLI as well as many of you want to promote breastfeeding as "normal". Any
activity that might be interpreted as radical, especially in a "family"
atmosphere, would be detrimental to that goal... *negative marketing*!!!
Many LLL Leaders work long and hard to promote the image, through
information and support, in their communities that they are normal (not
radical) women feeding their babies in a normal way and trying to help other
normal women feed and nurture their babies. A nurse-in could easily
reinstitute the radical images many of these women have been able to dispel.

It is sad to see the overt "judgement" that is being handed down.  I thought
we were all working against this sort of thing.

I'm tickled to death to have institutions/companies who have set up
nursing/pumping rooms to continue to call me for literature to put into
those rooms because it makes sense.  I do  not want them to stop calling me
because the norm has been made into a spectacle. ( And to date I don't ask
them to remove their "offending" products from the their lunch rooms,
either.)

I don't stop going to a restaurant because they serve a mint with the check
that is made by a Nestle affiliate.  I might, however, have a discussion
with the manager and possible stop going if asked to stop nursing my child
at the table or if I saw them ask another woman to do so.  On my last trip
to Disney (I'm addicted), many women were nursing their babies discretely on
rides, in attractions, on curbside benches, and they were *not* being
directed to do so elsewhere.  It would be a shame to ruin that
comfortability and nursing normalcy by possibly making a spectacle of those
women we say we are trying to help?

On that same trip, however, there was great interest (loads of smiles and
requests for "where to get") in the canvas "Celebrate Breastfeeding" tote
that I quite nonchalantly carried everywhere I went.

Lorri Centineo