Condense Mail Headers

Sender:
From:
Kathy Dettwyler <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 16 Mar 1999 18:43:12 -0600
> How common are some of the "breastfeeding difficulties"
>that derail so many "Western" moms breastfeeding relationship, such as
>mastitis and thrush, in developing countries?

As I have posted here before, in 2.5 years of research on breastfeeding
Mali, West Africa, I saw one case of thrush and one case of seriously
bleeding cracked nipples -- and none of the other women in these
villages/towns knew how to help these mothers because they had never seen
either of these conditions before.  Mastitis was unheard of.  When you nurse
on-cue, around the clock, several times an hour from birth, you don't see
engorgement or mastitis.

Kathy Dettwyler