Date:
Mon, 14 Jun 1999 08:02:49 EDT

<< Only an explicit contract between the seller and buyer in which the
 buyer waives imperfections will alter this. >>
Most retailers set their own policies on such. Most retailers post these
policies ( if they are smart retailers) and have these policies written on
the sales slip (we do.)
BTW, I sell only breast pumps that work.  If there is an imperfection in the
equipment, I have found it much easier for the customer to deal directly with
the manufacturer. Some manufacturers prefer this. The manufacturer is
sometimes, able to respond faster  to the customer needs than the retailer
can be.  Usually, the manufacturer will send, overnight, a new pump or part.
AND, at the same time pick up the defective one. This relieves the retailer
from the cost of returns.  Actually , a lot of manufacturers have limits on
the % of returns a retailer may submit. And, may only get a % of the actual
cost of the item. (Although,This is not the case with those I work with.)
Unfortunalty, there are customers that abuse return policies from time to
time. That is  why we see more and more retailers with stricter policies ie
Eddie bauer and Hudsons (retailers in US--EB is also catalog). Both have
tightened up policies due to customers taking unfair advantage of the stores
very generous return policies.  In the Hudsons Dept Stores people would
actually bring back china that was used for a party, dresses that were worn
to weddings etc.  Eddie Bauer had a lifetime return policy. People would
bring back clothing from their dear departed for return!

Breast pumps are a specialty item that should be purchased from those
retailers who specialize in them.  Customers will get better service and
personal attention from such stores.  Owners of these type of stores care
about the success of breastfeeding not just the purchase of equipment.
Retailers like this across the country that I have had the pleasure to meet
are thoughtful , caring individuals who believe in the cause --not just the
bottom line. New moms need support. the won't get it from the "Big Box"
stores.
Diane Barnes
Maternal Expressions-metro Detroit