Date:
Mon, 8 Mar 1999 21:25:17 +0800
Hi Genevieve,
I have a 12 week old baby, my third and if it is any consulation, my
baby clicks at the breast, comes off very easily and is not well
attatched during most feeds.  He is a huge thriving boy and my
nipples feel great.  I also have a good milk supply.  The problem,
who knows, I can't find anything wrong with what I am doing the
only thing I can think of is that his palate seems quite high.  I have
tried all positions but sometimes he will get on perfectly other
times he is very noisy and comes off all the time, once the let
down has slowed down, he does seem to improve though.  I don't
have an oversupply problem and I don't have a fantastic MER, I
mean there isn't milk spraying everywhere.  I have just decided to
stop looking too deeply into this, I have a healthy happy placid
child and sure the feeding is not what I know is normal, but he
seems to be coping just fine.  At 9 weeks he weighed 13 pounds.
Oh one other thing, he was 4 weeks prem and he has always done
this.  He is worse on the right breast, but will do it on both sides.
The right breast has had mastitis 3 times, and with my other 2 kids
I never had it at all.
Hope this helps you a little with your client.
Val in Busselton, Western Australia
RN RM IBCLC