Date:
Sun, 7 Mar 1999 20:24:38 GMT
Re: the discussions onthis issue, Kathleen says:  " Please do not connect Nestle
to LLLI in
your thoughts, words, or deeds...."

I guess the trouble for me is not that I might form an association in my mind,
but that the companies involved might be able to twist the apparant association
to their own benefit.

Disney gives, I understand, the complete concession on food items inside Disney
theme parks to Nestle.  When new Disney films come out, the yoghurts, fromage
frais, etc which
get the Disney characters on the pots are all Nestle subsidiaries, in the UK at
least.
Now that Easter is coming we have 101 Dalmatian/Nestle (Rowntrees) easter eggs,
etc.  The two companies are in some association closer than occasional.

Keeping that in mind -- and not knowing, or as consumers easily having the
resources to find out -- HOW close the association is, it seems fair to think of
the two companies as having some common interests.

One interest of Nestle is in shining up its tarnished "feel good, charitable,
benevolent" image.  Those of you who saw the Marketing Week story of a few weeks
back saw that the marketing consultancy industry recommended that Nestle trumpet
its good works in order to counter the "feel-bad" factor of the boycott.

If Nestle and Disney are closer than casual partners, there WOULD (note the
subjunctive) be scope for Nestle to say -- see we are such good guys and so good
natured and so really truly in favour of breastfeeding, 'when' it works, of
course, that we/our partnership welcomed the LLLI conference in 1999 at a hotel
within our grounds.

I am not saying they will do this -- have no reason to think so.  But things of
a similar nature have certainly happened before and I would hope that LLLI had
very good reason to choose that venue and carefully weighed up all the pros and
cons.  Again, I have no reason at all to suppose they haven't done this.

Its just a sort of Ceasar's wife situation -- not only must one be clean in
thought word and deed, it must be clear to all that that is indeed the case.

Oh, for information:  the boycott (someone wondered) is, as I understand it and
certainly in the UK, directed against Nescafe *only* as the Nestle flagship
product and boycotters are given further product information so that, if they
wish, they can extend their personal acts of protest to include all Nestle
products.

Magda Sachs
Area Contact, Baby Milk Action
BfN Breastfeeding Supporter, UK