Date:
Sun, 14 Feb 1999 09:40:31 -0600
Failure to thrive in a baby whose intake is good can be caused by allergies
to something in the mother's diet.  I have had 2 clientsthis year whose
babies, with serious weight problems, began to gain weight well when mom
eliminated all dairy from their diet.

"Spitting" and other GER-like symptoms can also be caused by a sensitivity
to something in mom's diet. I have had numerous clients whose babies were
scheduled to go on anti-reflux meds, who recovered from symptoms with the
total elimination of dairy, including foods prepared with dairy products.

I would advise mom to go off *all* dairy first and see how baby does,
before going through more tests. Some of the mothers have to also eliminate
beef, which also has bovine protein.

In the archives, there is much on the topic of low weight gain and reflux
as they relate to dairy foods.

Patricia Gima, IBCLC
Milwaukee, Wisconsin, USA
mailto:[log in to unmask]