From:
Carol Brussel <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 14 Jan 1999 21:02:12 EST
i must say, i couldn't resist - my letter to the young liberals - isn't the
internet great? you can harass political parties around the globe.

Greetings to everyonein Oz I just read that your party wishes to institute
fines for breastfeeding in public. I am so astounded. From where I sit in the
United States, Australia looks like a paradise for forward-thinking people,
since your breastfeeding rates are wonderful and the attitude towards
breastfeeding is so much more enlightened than here. What can you be thinking?
Is someone having a sudden fit of Americanization?

So, would you be fining the baby for eating, or the mother for feeding?
Perhaps this all a misunderstanding, and you are actually proposing to fine
people for feeding their children unhealthful, non-species-specific fluids in
unhygienic, silicon or pthylate-contaminated bottles?

It will be interesting to see if such a law actually gets passed; then I guess
we will be calling you the United States of Australia, our sister country in
backwardness.

Carol Brussel IBCLC