From:
James Tobin <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 5 Feb 1999 16:04:22 -0600
Nick Perovich wrote:

>...  they played the last movement of Kubelik's 1953 version of
>Hindemith's SYMPHONIC METAMORPHOSIS OF THEMES BY WEBER ... on
>the Mercury Living Presence CDs,

I have treasured the original vinyl recording for decades, and I also love
the performance of Bloch's Concerto Grosso #1 that was paired with it.  (In
fact I got this disc by swapping it for a recording by Howard Hanson of the
Bloch because I didn't care for that performance, which sounded the way
Stravinsky might have conducted it--"angular" my brother called it.)

Jim Tobin