Date:
Mon, 8 Feb 1999 22:36:42 EST
Did anyone see the ABC story about toxins in breastmilk?
This morning on our local station they aired an ABC story reporting on a
Canadian study published in an American journal, no reference given, that
tested the milk of healthy mothers.
They tested for industrial pollutants and found at least 1 in ALL of the
samples, and  1/3 of the samples contained toluidine, a carcinogen.
(pronounced too --loo - a - dine)
Their concers were whether these chemicals could cause breast cancer, what
effect could it have on the baby, and finding the source of these chemicals.
Our station reported that the report could be found at:

www.ABCChildrenFirst.com

But I could not find it at that site, or the ABC site.
Does anyone know of this study?
The thing that depressed me the most it the scientist who did the study is
also a mother and although she breastfed her first 2 children was not
breastfeeding her 3rd due to this information.
They DID have a representative from INFACT on stating that breastfed children
and mothers are healthier, and the report stated (lamely in my opinion) that
no one is suggesting women not breastfeed.  (Not very convincing after the
scientist doing the research decides not to bf).
Jane Bradshaw RN, BSN,  IBCLC
Lynchburg, VA