From:
Rhoda Taylor <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 26 Jan 1999 17:10:45 -0800
>My son (14) (and breastfed for close to five years) thought it was funny,
>but he was surprised by the audience reaction. He commented that people
>think it's very normal to drink milk that has come out of a cow's udder but
>that it's somehow disgusting to drink milk from a person.

I had a funny moment several months ago with a lovely teen mom. She had
called me with concerns about milk supply. In the conversation she
commmented she had fed diluted milk to the then 2 week old baby. I was
trying to be tactful yet clearly communicate that it was dangerous to feed
cow's milk to a baby of that age. She assured me she had NOT fed cow's milk.
I apologized and asked why she had chosen to dilute her own expressed milk.
She said it wasn't her own milk either. Finally I asked what kind of milk
she meant (thinking soya or goats or ???) She said with frustration "you
know the kind you get from the fridge!" When assured that indeed, milk in
the fridge came from cows she immediately exclaimed "euwww, GROSS!!" and was
both horrified and disgusted.  I was flabbergasted as the dairy industry is
one of the major businesses in this rural area. Apparently it took a while
for her to go back to drinking milk.   And I learned never to assume others
know what you THINK they know.   Rhoda
Rhoda Taylor, B.A., I.B.C.L.C.
Vancouver Island, Canada

Help celebrate the 50th Anniversary of the Universal Declaration of Human
Rights.
                            Visit www.amnesty.ca