Date:
Tue, 12 Jan 1999 15:23:43 GMT
As a US person translated to the UK (originally in 1976 - 80, for good in 1982),
I would just like to comment that the Womanly Art of Breastfeeding just didn't
and doesn't have a wide appeal in this cultural setting.  It is very american.

In the UK we had Stanway and Stanway "Breast is Best"  (also in many editions).
And what is really interesting to me is that many of the comments I have read on
Lactnet about WAB I have also heard about BiB!!  Maybe those were the times in
which one lone book flourished.....

I often lend out a range of books (and, increasingly videos) but, as a basic
skills teacher, I have an enormous problem with the lack of any good material at
an average or lower reading level, books, and  especially leaflets or booklets.
The majority are a disappointment.  I may be able to get good information from
them, but most 'novices' to reading about breastfeeding don't.

Magda Sachs
The Breastfeeding Network, UK.