From:
Louise Dumas <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 10 Jan 1999 23:09:42 -0500
Dear Wendey,
I have to disagree with you about the Quebec government and its
involvement in the building of the new perinatal ward in Laval... Laval
is but one place in the whole province. Should I remind you that,
unfortunately in Canada, we have to shop (sometimes real hard) for the
place that suits our own needs to have our babies or to get the care we
need... I could also suggest you look for positive stuff: not too far
from where you are, you have the new Anna Laberge hospital in
Chateauguay which is not only encouraging rooming-in but where it is the
only alternative since this center opened a few years ago.  They are
also breastfeeding oriented, I hear. I would also tell you this is the
way here, in Gatineau hospital (Western Quebec). I guess the government
will finance anything that is voted at the regional level since we now
have a decentralized financial system for health care. You should
complain at the regional level instead since they are the ones
responsible for the plans.

However, I do agree with you when you say: "It's not the hospital or the
nurses or the admin who are objecting here: it's the PARENTS!" This is
for rooming-in, for pacifiers, for restrictions in smoking (in Gatineau,
you now have to go outside to smoke...should I remind you it was minus
20 Celsius here today?). I know it is sometimes decouraging but we have
to work into public education. The public is our clients but it is also
the representatives on the hospital boards and at the government level.
They will do what they think is best. We have to prove them and re-prove
them what is best.
Sincerely, Louise

Louise Dumas, R.N., M.S.N., PhD
Professor-researcher in Nursing Sciences
University of Quebec in Hull
 (Western Quebec)

mailto:[log in to unmask]