From:
Lloyd Spear <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 27 Apr 1999 14:03:33 -0400
Allen, you said "I am wondering what tricks anyone can offer to get good
cells in good
numbers early.  We have tried swarm boxes and just been very unhappy with
them.  Our preferred method is a two storey queenless colony for starting
and finishing the cells.  Is there something better for cool weather?"

You know me well enough to know I am not an expert, but I will say that for
the rest of the list.

  That said, a very successful breeder that I know claims you can raise
outstanding virgins just by being sure that your queenless (and broodless)
colonies have no less than 10 pounds of bees (approximately) and all the
pollen patty they can consume (about one pound).  (This is for 50 queens to
a colony.)  He says the challenge is not getting good queens in cool
weather, it is having enough drones!  He wants at least 100 drones per
virgin, and those should be no less than two weeks old.  Drones, I
understand, is what can be hard to come by in cool weather.

Lloyd

Lloyd Spear Owner, Ross Rounds(tm).  The finest in comb honey production.
http://www.rossrounds.com