Date:
Thu, 18 Mar 1999 09:10:31 EST
I have a question regarding this discussion on sterilizing pump equipment. Why
does a mom need to boil the equipment from a sealed brand new package before
she can use it? I know the companies will state this in their instructions.
But why? What is on this equipment that would be harmfull to the baby?
I have had 2 cases recently where I recommended the mom start pumping, to
boost their supply and to use their EBM for the sup instead of that horrible
formula. When I call the moms I find they are still in the process of boiling
the pump pieces, a time consuming job and a day goes by before they start the
care plan.
I tell moms that br milk has so many great qualities and live white cells,
that when they are pumping several times a day, that they only need to rinse
the equipment between use then at end of day do a big wash and sterilize.
I can understand the need to be more careful with bottles containing formula
but why the extra burden with EBM?  I am not talking about preemies in NICUs
that moms are pumping for.  I would love to hear your collective thoughts.
Ann Perry RN IBCLC
Boston, Mass