From:
Leslie Ward <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 5 Jan 1999 18:44:08 -0500
Hi All,
    Priscilla, I don't have much concrete on breastfeeding specifically
in relation to mother/child interactions, but a recent book, Being
There, by Isabella Fox, PhD is great on the effects of the mother/child
separation from the child's point of view and ways to reduce/minimize
the damage. It has been a while since I read it, so I'm not sure of the
actual breastfeeding information, but I do know that LLLI has included
it in their catalog.
    LLLI also published a paper - #123, 6/79 entittled How A Baby Learns
To Love by Selma Frailburg, who in the bio-notes is said  "has taken
part in numerous investigations dealing with th absence or rupture of
human ties in infancy." Finding Ms Frailburg's books is hard, most are
out of print. I have read one and it was a moving piece on the pain we
cause children in the name of 'society, culture and civialization.' Also
they had #65, 6/88 entittled The Critical Importance of Mothering, by
Elliott Barker, MD.
    Also listed in the LLL's Facts about Breastfeeding (1995) was
Temboury, M.C., et al. Influence of breastfeeding on the infant's
intellectual development. J Ped Gastro Nutr 1994, 18:32-36. (Under the
description concerning this study, it says, "breastfeeding improves the
mother-child relationship.."so it might be worth looking for)

Leslie Ward
Vine Grove, KY - where its 18 degrees outside.