Date:
Thu, 10 Dec 1998 13:46:37 +0000
Bonnie: thanks for your post.

I, and other UK bf supporters, have never had any qualms about weighing
'per se', just 'test weighing'.

I agree that weighing is an important and measurable indication of
effective breastfeeding (but by no means the only one, or, in many
circumstances, the most important one).

Weighing can, of course, as we all agree,  be misused and misinterpreted
and be of no help whatsoever to bf (though I do think babies *should* be
weighed routinely - I just wish it was always done properly by the 'right'
people, but even when it isn't, I still think it's useful, overall).

Remember, it's only *test weighing*  that raised our eyebrows - weighing
before and after a feed. But I think we now accept that it can be a tool in
certain circumstances, esp in FTT.  However, I would not argue for its
re-acceptance in the UK. It's dead and buried, and if it was revived, we'd
lose more than we gained. This is, though, partly because of our rather
different ways of working and the different ways health services are
delivered to mothers.

Heather Welford Neil
NCT bfc Newcastle upon Tyne UK