From:
Madeleine Pym <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 25 Mar 1999 10:33:34 -0000
I too had been gravely concerned for Andy's health and had kept thinking to
enquire after him. But it seemed over sentimental at the time, being as how
'I had never even met the guy'. You know that thinking.

I sometimes wonder if I will ever learn to express my thanks and my pleasure
at knowing someone - at the time - rather than when it is too late.

I have only been a member of this list for a year and yet from the very
beginning he grabbed my attention and got me thinking. The first post I
recall he was spouting about how he could tell you all about keeping bees on
pretty near any place, including fault lines where when he went back the
next week his nice straight row of hives was all higgledy-piggledy. Then
there was something about rattlers under the hives (I think that was him). I
just did not know what to make of the man and yet he had caught me already,
his use of words had the scenes dancing before my eyes. Of all the members
of this group, it has been Andy that took me to places I had never been
before.

Not that that was all there was to him as you all know. I loved him for his
good straight talking, never afraid to express his opinions. And his lack of
submission in the face of the 'powers that be' as we call them over here.

Maybe someone will be able to pull all those tales of his together one day
so others can learn from him, and we can remember him.

Madeleine Pym, London