From:
"Helen M. Woodman" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 3 Jan 1999 17:40:57 EST
I have contacted Midwife pals from the two maternity units serving my local
area.  They  tell me that in each of these hospitals babies are NEVER
routinely aspirated, only if they have v real difficulty in breathing after
delivery and have been unable to shift the mucous/fluid themselves.  This is
done on the Baby Resuscitaire which has suction as part of the machine, when
the fine ball catheter is used.  The hand held bulb thingy was done away with
a long time ago.  I strongly suspect that there is research used here in UK to
show that routine suction has adverse effects.  Forgot to ask about this and
so will pursue this.

kind regards
Helen Woodman, National Childbirth Trust Breastfeeding Counsellor, UK.