From:
Rutger Deterd Oude Weme <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 22 Jan 1999 09:20:00 +0100
Richard Todd wrote:

> Scarborough Fair is indeed an old English traditional song,

For as fas as I found out, it was composed round 1670 and named 'the elfin
knight'

> but I've alsways assumed that the tune used by S&G was written by or
> for them.

The record says so, but in my songbook from S&G only the counter melody is
composed by S&G.

> It doesn't sound the least bit traditional to me.

A lot of artist from this century have recorded it. I found more than 60
albums on the internet with this song.

I'm know looking for an encyclopedia in which the song is mentioned.
Probably there are some more details about it.

Rutger Deterd Oude Weme