From:
Deryk Barker <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 21 Jan 1999 12:27:44 -0800
Richard Todd ([log in to unmask]) wrote:

>Scarborough Fair is indeed an old English traditional song, but I've
>alsways assumed that the tune used by S&G was written by or for them.
>It doesn't sound the least bit traditional to me.

Well the main melody certainly does to me...

I tried a web search, but got 2000 hits on "Scarborough Fair", many of
them simply containing the words to the S&G song - which, BTW, is properly
titled Scarborough Fair/Canticle.  One lunatic even described it as "words
and music by Paul Simon and Art Garfunkle", which wonderfully combines
misinformation with misspelling.

The countermelody may well be by PS, but it's been a long time since I
heard their version.

Deryk Barker