From:
Donald Satz <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 7 Feb 1999 16:51:53 PST
On another thread, Mr.  Smyth indicated that the power of Bach's music was
based on his use of polyphony.  I took this as representing Mr.  Smyth's
"big picture" of what makes Bach great.  I was listening last night to vol.
9 of the BIS/Bach cantata series; in particular, I was finding a few of the
fast/powerful choral passages quite thrilling.  All of a sudden, I realized
that Mr.  Smyth might have only been referring to those parts of Bach works
where intense power dominated.

Concerning those parts, I definitely agree that the polyphony is the
cornerstone of the power.  Bach utilizes it so masterfully, as he mazimizes
the music's intensity.  Much of the thrill I felt was a direct result of
the polyphony.

I don't want to leave the impression that I find no significance in Bach's
polyphony in other genres.  It's a major facet of his solo keyboard works,
and the Art of the Fugue and Musical Offering benefit greatly through its
use.

Don Satz