From:
Kar-Ming Chong <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 8 Feb 1999 09:12:58 +0800
 From the top of my head, Gavrilov has recorded the French Suites twice.
The first recording is with the EMI label under the "EMI Forte" series - a
bright yellow cover.  The recording probably took place around the mid-80s.
And the 2 CD set is selling for slightly below a full-price CD.

The second recording of the Suites is with the DG label.  It is probably
recorded somewhere in the early nineties (1993?).  And the 2 CD set is
selling for full price.

I haven't heard the DG set (maybe the full price has something to do with
this) but the EMI set is just marvellous.  While we're on the subject of
Gavrilov, the EMI Red Line series has released a coupled of Gavrilov's
recordings while he was with the label - Chopin's 2 sets of Etudes, 1 & 3
Ballades, Schumann's Carnival, Papillons, Rachmaninov's selected Piano
works and PC 2.  If this artist is new to you, I suggest you run to the
store now and get these recordings.

CHeers
Kar MIng