From:
Janet Simpson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 13 Jan 1999 17:47:50 -0800
Hi All,
I wanted to say (to Pamela) that she is not alone in not having the hospital
grade pumps.  Anyone remember Roberta, the Mexican Milk Maid?  She came to
visit me a few years ago and talked of how they had NO pumps, not even hand
pumps!  Moms who need to express do it by hand and have done so for years.
Now, I believe she has a few electric pumps, but I cannot be sure about that!

Personally, I wish that more women would get really good at hand expression
and save themselves the money of renting or buying a pump!  For me, however,
after 3+ mo of bi-lateral mastitis (with baby #2) and VERY painful breasts,
even the thought of trying to hand express is scary!  :i  But, I encourage
all of my clients to try and learn (give them the Marmett technique info) to
hand express for a variety of reasons.  One, is it is cheaper; two, it is
something one can do anywhere - even when there is no electricity; 3, you
don't have to worry about losing small parts;  there are more reasons, but I
think you get the idea.

Jay
who had to do labor breathing while getting her breast exam at the OBs
office last Fri...is it (breast exam) supposed to be tender when you're
lactating??
Jay Simpson, CLE
Sacramento, California, West Coast, USA
"No Miracles performed here, just a lot of love and hard work."