Sue Petracek <[log in to unmask]>
Thu, 28 Jan 1999 08:45:43 -0700
Time and events dictated I had to delete a bunch of Lactnet posts - there
was no way I would ever get back to reading them all. However, when I
noticed the recent thread on nursing bras, I had to go back and read them
all.

I always chuckle when I realize part of what I do for a living is find
and fit bras for moms. I'm the one who always considered "comfortable
bra" an oxymoron.

I teach that there are only 3 reasons to wear a bra (anytime!).

1. Modesty: breastfeeding or not, many are uncomfortable with jiggling or
the movement of unrestrained breasts when walking etc.

2. Comfort: sleeping or daytime, if it is better with a bra, wear one.

3. Function: to hold bra pads or shells in place.

As we so enjoyably discussed here, most sagging is genetic - look at your
mother or grandmother.

Most women do wear the wrong size bra because they are stuck on a size.
"I'm a 38D." They don't want to try anything else. If left to their own
devices, they will pick the least uncomfortable of the 38D's available.

When we do bra fittings, it is not unusual to have 20 bras left behind to
restock, nor is it unusual for a mom who buys 2 different
styles/manufacturers of bra to leave with 2 different size bras.

You know how little kids love to wear their new shoes home from the
store? I know we've done a good job when a mom asks to wear her new bra
home.

Thanks to you all for your continuing support, education and camaraderie.

Sue

Sue Petracek              * [log in to unmask]
Bosom Buddies, Inc.       * www.bosombuddies.com
(888) 860-0041 Toll Free  * Helping mothers breastfeed successfully