Condense Mail Headers

Sender:
From:
Dressler-DeMarco <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 10 Jan 1999 16:12:13 -0500
Hi,
I am a new poster to Lactnet, but feel I want to respond to this
situation that seems to go along with the "who's baby is it, anyway"
thread.
Lori's daughter's experience at her baby's 6 months checkup sounds like
one of those typical situations wherein so many of us respond
"AAARRRGGGHHH."
Although it seems the new AAP recommendations have convinced some of
this area's doctors to consider that babies can continue to be
successfully and exclusively breastfed even after their 6 month mark,
the common instruction to mothers is to start solids at 3 or 4 months.
Lori's daughter's baby seems to be gaining and growing well on her
mother's breast milk, and certainly Lori herself has observed and is
convinced that breastfeeding is going well.  Yet, after talking with the
doctor, Lori's daughter went away feeling unsure and insecure.   How
typical is this for a new mom?
I don't know about you, but I used to feel I needed to prepare for my
well baby visits--to have handy a number for the nurse or doctor when
she or he asked how many times a day the baby nursed, or to remember
that it really isn't my doctor's business if my baby is sleeping in my
bed with me.
I also think that with a teen mom a doctor might be even more
patronizing. . .
Lori, your daughter is handling the introduction of foods just fine.
She is right to follow her baby's lead in this.
Being a new mom isn't the only situation, however, in which one might
feel at the mercy of my doctor's opinion or verdict.  I bet we can all
relate to some degree.  For me, whether I take my baby or my
body--neither of which I am emotionally disattached to (nor is Lori
emotionally disattached to her daughter or her grandbaby)--to the
doctor, my brain stops thinking rationally.  I realize I need to pump up
for these visits to "the higher authority" so that I can be responsible
for myself.
Lori, how could you know that the doctor would respond in such a dull,
rote manner?  I'd have told my daughter to ignore him, too. Maybe you
and your daughter can use this experience so that future doctor
appointments won't undermine her sense of competency as a mother.

Diane, LLLL in Vermont