Reply To:
Lactation Information and Discussion <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 12 Jan 1999 18:23:07 -0500
Content-Type:
text/plain
Parts/Attachments:
text/plain (7 lines)
Hi all, I am currently working with a mom 6 days post c-section, who also has severe Crone's disease.  Her GI put her on mercaptopurine prior to pregnancy and she has taken it throughout, and is currently still taking 150 mg. 1 x day.  Today, after 6 days of breastfeeding, one of the nurses called me to research this drug.  I realize that this drug is considered toxic.  Hale says this drug probably passes into milk and is considered dangerous (the info was the mfgr. insert).  I have called Grady in Atlanta and was told the same thing.  The GI told the mom that since it was safe in pregnancy (category D), it would also be safe during lactation.  The drug helps the mother tremendously but she desperately wants to breastfeed her infant.  Has anyone had any experience with this drug and lactation??  The pediatrician would be willing to look at unpublished data, since he understands the risks of not breastfeeding.  If anyone has any information, please post privately as well as to the list......I only have 24 hrs. to gather any new info.  Would it be worthwhile to measure levels in breastmilk and/or infant or is this drug just too risky, period?  What kind of side effects would you expect to see in the infant??  Thanks for any help.

Pam Holland, BS, IBCLC
                                        Savannah, GA
             "Be careful not to stress so much to get your kids what you didn't have, 
                           that you forget to give them what you did"

ATOM RSS1 RSS2