From:
Cathy Bargar <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 12 Jan 1999 21:16:39 -0500
Hate to admite it, but the doc is probably right. I'd give the same answer
(re: Depo-Provera for birth control & milk supply). I've seen lots and lots
of moms breastfeed without any problem while using Depo, and I've also seen
some for whom it was a big problem. (The bigger problem I've seen with it is
depression & mood swings). I think that if she has a good nsg. pattern
established (i.e. if she nurses whenever the baby wants to, baby gaining
well, no problems, not a lot of other potential milk-inhibitors going on),
AND if she's pretty sure that for her, right now, this is the best method of
contraception, AND if she understands that she probably shouldn't choose
this time to cut down BFing or eliminate night fdgs, it's probably OK. I've
noticed that for younger women (teens, twenties), I've heard less about it
decreasing supply, but with older moms it's more apt to be a problem. Is
this just subjective - anyone know? But - I gotta say, I wouldn't take it
while I was BFing!