Date:
Mon, 9 Nov 1998 23:03:23 -0400
Heather Welford Neil wrote:
>No, this is not a solution to the 'challenge'. The solution is adequate
>paid maternity leave. Pumping long-term to fulfill most of the nutritional
>needs of an infant is not physiological; it is an inefficient way of
>maintaining lactation; it is hard work; it is not as satisfying emotionally
>to mother or baby.

Well said, Heather. When I wrote my dissertation on breastfeeding and
the workplace and looked at corporate lactation programs I empahsized that
pumping is not the only answer or even the best answer but flexible work
arrangements are essential. Would that the U.S. had maternity leave
policies
similar to those in Europe. It is an important goal. In the meantime we
work
to help the mothers who are in the workforce now as well.

New England Complex Systems Institute
http://necsi.org