From:
Paula Jordan <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 12 Dec 1998 18:03:48 -0800
Hello,  I have two questions for a post-partum client: looked through
the archives, Womanly Art, Woman's Way to Wellness and notes from a
nursing mothers council fundamentals of breastfeeding class and wanted
to ask the list

1)mom wants to take iron supplement but worried about baby's reaction
to iron (baby exclusively bf and is 7 wks, was born at 38 wks NVD)
Baby has a fussy/gassy/crying period in eve from 10pm-1am often has a
soft bm and falls to sleep.  Mom does try to nurse during this time
but baby is so upset she can't. From several posts (Pat Gima as one)
the form of iron recommended is ferrous fumerate.

2) ebm is refrig for 5 days-can mom freeze it now? sources above said
5-8 days in refrig o'kay before using but nothing mentioned about
freezing after sev days in refrig.

Also just a rant-had a stressful week supporting a mom who was told by
md and er staff that she couldn't breastfeed jaundiced 7 day old(they
thought breastfeeding jaundice, but was early onset)They spent 12
hours in er trying to figure out what ws wrong in er thinking they had
to stay when the attending appeared and said "start breastfeeding",
you didn't need to stop (which I had discussed with them earlier),
explained the types of jaundice, why they shouldn't worry and sent
them home.  Luckily baby went right back after almost 24hrs abm/bottle
supplement.I was so aggravated.

And at work today I "stole" the only copy in the pedi waiting room of
Lullably Club. ha ha.

Thanks for listening and the answers to the top two questions:)

Paula Jordan Lic Ac, Doula
who has learned so much more about breastfeeding from all of you.