From:
Roni Chastain <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 15 Dec 1998 06:51:18 EST
<< LLLL swears by gripe water, >>

Greetings All Wise Ones,

This really surprised me. I see a lot of this used in families from the
islands. It has 95% alcohol!!! Now there is a newer make that does not have
the alcohol, but one must read the small print on the bottle to see if there
is alcohol or not. I do not recommend it, it makes the little one drunk, and
moms wonder why it works!

I have been working with a mom, with a premie, who wanted to nurse when I
first began to see her.  I have assisted in getting the baby latched on, the
mom is now exclusively breastfeeding. She went to WIC yesterday and was given
vouchers for FORMULA. She did tell them she was exclusively bf, and rarily
gave a bottle. They gave her half the vouchers and told her to have her doctor
fill out a WIC application for her so she could get foods. Please, someone
from WIC, is this standard, or is it just in NYC?
Happy holidays to all.
Roni M. Chastain, RN, LCCE, FACCE
Long Island, New York