Date:
Fri, 11 Dec 1998 12:09:27 -0600
>" don't know if there's anything wrong with hominy grits.  I don't even know
>what they are.  They *sound* awfully greasy.  But I threw them in because I
>also like sound of the words."
>Jack Newman, MD, FRCPC

OK, I do know what hominy grits are.  And having grown up in North
Carolina, I should be most fond of them.  But I'm NOT!  It is corn that has
been soaked in lime water, which can become hominy (Oh, my!) or ground up
to become grits.  It is not at all greasy, just a white mush, to which can
be added butter or other fats, if one wishes.  I doubt that it offers much
nutrition, on its own, other than carbohydrates.  And, as Dr. Lendon Smith
used to say, "Don't feed your children anything *white* other than
cauliflower and breastmilk."

Jack, maybe in some of your travels to the south, you can experience this
dish.  It is usually served with breakfast and, since it doesn't have much
flavor of its own, it is accompanied by breakfast foods with strong flavors.

Patricia Gima, IBCLC
Milwaukee, Wisconsin, Upper Midwest, USA
mailto:[log in to unmask]