Date:
Wed, 9 Dec 1998 09:05:56 -0500
Ok, I'm out of lurking...Need advice!  I am working with twins born at
31weeks gestation now 34weeks and doing well on ebm and now breastfeeding,
exclusively from birth. Both babies were on ventilator support, etc at a
Level III hospital and then transferred to us as growing preemies,  they
were almost ready to go home when this happened. However one of the babies
developed quaic positive stools AFTER beginning breastfeeding!!! Was NOT
positive with ebm via tube feedings. Pediatrician feels this is due to"large
volume of milk baby gets at breast" So the orders are to "D/C breastfeeding
and give ebm until negative stools" (???!!!)  Mom has been pumping 6-7oz
every 3-4hours until she actually started nursing.  Abdominal girth
unchanged, remains soft, xrays normal, etc. What would Neonatologists due
with this scenario? Thanks for your help! Debi RNC, CCE, IBCLC