From:
Nikki Lee <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 25 Nov 1998 09:10:29 EST
Dear Wonderful Ones:
  Fabulous posts about the Delivery Self-Attachment video....they have made me
think about it in new ways. And now for my $0.02 worth...
  I always ask my childbirth classes "If you hadn't seen the first baby, would
you think the second baby was normal?" Most people answer yes to this
question, which leads to a discussion of our culturally based ideas that
newborns don't do very much.  Whereas the reality is that babies are
tremendously talented and capable.
   Another discussion topic is about the difference in babies 1 and 2. Baby
2's mother used pethidine in labor and the difference in the babies is
remarkable. Many dads suddenly realize the importance of labor support as a
way to reduce medication use when they realize the reason for the difference
in newborn behavior. I have heard couples make a commitment to an unmedicated
labor after a discussion of this video.
  So I would keep this film in my list of top 5 films for childbirth classes!
It can be used to promote discussion on so many different levels. Sometimes
first-time mothers think the entire responsibility for breastfeeding is
theirs; after this film, they see that the baby has a major role in the
relationship. Warmly, Nikki Lee