From:
Kathleen Bruce <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 8 Dec 1998 12:18:49 -0500
Regarding your commentary on Breastfeeding and Guilt, I urge you to consider
the fact that many times, breastfeeding is not presented as the superior
alternative it is.  The 1997 AAP statement supports the advantages of
breastmilk.  Many physicians use guilt as a motivator in situations where
dangerous situations present, such as lack of car seat use, or second hand
smoke, drug use, etc in parents.  I am not advocating use of guilt, but
instead am advocating breastfeeding for what it is, the superior
alternative. I think that anything short of letting people know the truth is
paternalistic, and does not allow parents to make truly informed decisions
about breastmilk and breastfeeding.  It is also the first step in affordable
health care.  If you have any other thoughts, I would be glad to discuss
this further.  I believe that it would be in the best interest on parents if
you removed the commentary on this subject at
http://www.mayohealth.org/mayo/ednote/htm/ed980121.htm
as it is slightly paternalistic.

Let us, as health care professionals, support those health practices which
we know to be better for human beings, ...and let's begin with not
protecting those who trust us from the truth.

Sincerely,

Kathleen B. Bruce  AB, BSN IBCLC
co owner Lactnet, free listserv list for over 2000 professionals
independent lactation consultant

Kathleen B. Bruce, BSN, IBCLC co-owner Lactnet,TLC, Indep. Consultant
Williston, Vermont, where daylight is almost gone by 4 pm....
mailto:[log in to unmask]
Check these pages out...
http://together.net/~kbruce/proj.html
http://together.net/~kbruce/answers.htm