From:
Donna Hansen <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 30 Nov 1998 17:05:58 -0800
I saw this at the BFHI conference in Vancouver last week. A friend there
with me took all the info down and called them up to ask if they really
had a clue why this was so offensive. Well, ok, she put it a little more
diplomatically than that but the person she talked to seemed surprised
that the ad would be a problem and what the implications were of using a
bottle as part of the advert. My friend did suggest (and provided
addresses for) that it might be an idea to write and apologize to the
Breastfeeding Committee of Canada, INFACT, and La Leche League Canada.
Here's a little more of the wite-up for the ad:

".....Invest in Kids Foundation was founded in 1992 to promote the
healthy develoment of all children from birth to the age of five. To
that end, the money raised last night will be used to fund research,
education and training to equip parents and other caregivers with
the knowledge and skills they need to nurture children best. And that
will make today, National Child Day, all that much more of a celebration

Invest in Kids
'The years before five last the rest of their lives'"

Who writes these things anyway?

Donna Hansen
Burnaby, British Columbia
Canada
(where I swear it's rained for 20 of the past 21 days, but the roses are
still sporting a few blooms)