From:
Janice Berry <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 18 Nov 1998 09:49:14 -0500
I wanted to pass this along as an FYI, in case anyone might be interested in
responding.

On September 5, the Dispatch printed a letter I wrote, "Baby doctors
shouldn't be allowed to push formula." On Sunday, a response was published.
Here is the text of my letter (please excuse any typos -- I didn't save it
and had to retype it), followed by the response:

I share Dispatch Meidcal Reporter Mark D. Somerson's lack of respect for
doctors who endorse products ("Doctors cut credibility by hawking
products").

Somerson failed to mention the most appalling example, though: doctors and
hospitals hawking infant formula. They advertise it, give samples and "gift"
packs, and sell the names and addresses of pregnant women to formula
companies, who then send samples to these women.

I've heard nurses and hospital lactation consultants discussing the free
merchandise and catered meals they get in exchange for passing on patients'
names, giving out samples, and putting out formula companies' literature and
sign-up sheets.

The AAP's December 1997 policy statement, "Breastfeeding and the Use of
Human Milk," mentions these tactics and "physician apathy and
misinformation" as being among obstacles to breastfeeding.

It outlines 12 recommendations pediatricians should follow "to provide an
optimal environment for breastfeeding." Few doctors do, but they do provide
free formula.

Infant formula has been extensively documented to cause greater, earlier,
and more severe incidences of illnesses, from ear, gastrointestinal, and
upper respiratory infections to multiple sclerosis and cancer. Any doctor
who treats children should be familiar with this mountain of evidence.

Doctors also should know that formula can never provide the immune factors
of mother's milk.

Even if the medical practitioners are not hawking formula to make more money
on ill-baby visits or to get kickbacks, how can they put their heads in the
sand and ignore the ethical problems?

Some medical practitioners say, "We only give samples to babies who are
already getting formula." So can we assume that if these same health
professionals see a mother smoking, they would send her off with a carton of
cigarettes, too, as long as they got some cool note pads in return?

Why is the medical community not informing parents about formula risks? Why
don't ethics matter, and whose best interests are at heart? Certainly not
those of infants and the parents who place their trust in the medical
profession.
Janice Berry
Westerville, OH
This response was published yesterday (11/14/98). I found the next to last
paragraph particularly disingenuous. I also don't think this jibes with the
reality of the pediatricians I and my breastfeeding friends have
encountered:
Doctors are looking out for children

I respond to Janice Berry's recent letter. I do not believe she offered a
well-rounded view regarding doctors' role with infant formula.

Pediatricians strongly believe that breast milk is superior to infant
formula. Breast milk provides better nutrition, and is more convenient and
less expensive. It has been shown to help protect infants against a number
of illnesses. It has even been shown to advance the growth and development
of infants. My colleagues and I spend hours each day emphasizing this.

The fact is, many more infants are now being breast-fed than a generation
ago. I hope the number continues to climb. However, I believe that a number
of infants will continue to require infant formula in the first year of
life. I am honored by the trust families put in me and my profession to
inform them about healthy choices for their children.

If an infant is not going to breast- feed for the first 12 months of life,
it is my obligation to inform the family that not all other options are
equal. Because nutrition is so vital in the first year of life, it is
important for families to have all the facts about breast milk, infant
formula, cow's milk, goat's milk and other options. An informed choice is
likely to be a healthier choice.

Formula samples can encourage families to continue using the best formula
available. Optimal nutrition is the goal. Just as counseling about and
encouragement of breast-feeding can discourage the use of inferior
alternatives, formula samples can have the same effect.

Under the right circumstances, offering formula samples can have the same
positive effect as when a pediatrician encourages the use of seat belts and
bicycle helmets, discourages the use of infant walkers and trampolines, or
counsels against tobacco, drug and alcohol use.

Thankfully, pediatricians do have children's best interests in mind. In
fact, maximizing each child's health within his own unique circumstances is
what pediatrics is all about.

Dr. Tim Teller
Hilliard
*********************
In case you want to respond, here is their letter policy:
The Dispatch welcomes letters to the editor from readers on a broad range of
topics. Short letters (200 words or less) have the best chance of being
published. Typed letters are preferred, and all may be edited. Each should
include a signature, address and daytime phone number. Specify a date if
there's a reference to a previous article or letter. Mail to: Letters to the
Editor, The Dispatch, 34 S. 3rd St., Columbus 43215 or fax to 461-7580.

The Editor also welcomes Internet mail from our readership area addressed to
[log in to unmask];. E-mailed letters to the editor do not require a
signature, but we do require your real name, address (street address, not
e-mail address) and daytime telephone number. We do not accept e-mail
attachments in Letters to the Editor submissions -- only plain text in the
body of the e-mail message will be accepted.

Janice Berry
Westerville, OH -- near Columbus, home of Ross Labs :-/