From:
"S. Kazmierski" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 8 Dec 1998 21:39:43 -0600
Monique writes:
>With all the discussions about formula company freebies I thought I
>would throw this into the mix.  I belong to a new breastfeeding,
>mother-to-mother type support group in a relatively small town (pop.
>16,000).  The group is contemplating having a bake-o-rama so we will
>have a massive number of cookies to give to OB's, OB nurses, and local
>baby center nurses.  The group wants to include some literature
>regarding our group in general and meeting times/dates in these cookie
>baskets.
>
>This activity kind of sticks in my craw.  Copying formula company
>tactics makes me a tad bit uneasy.  Any opinions?  Any advice?

Hey, c'mon!  I think the idea of a bake-o-rama of cookies and cookie baskets
for the OBs and OB nurses is a great idea!  It's not like the pharmaceutical
companies and formula companies were the first ones to come up with the idea
of handing out goodies to get their message noticed.  The difference between
your group and the formula companies is that you're telling the truth.  :-)

Now if you could just hand out free breastfeeding pillows or slings to
new mommies, to combat the influence of the free cans of formula and
free diaper bags the formula companies hand out.

Everyone uses food to sell things.  When I was teaching high school and went
to teaching conventions, book publishers would host wine and cheese parties
to get us to come and look at their latest publications.  When my students
would have morning meetings for their clubs, they would bring donuts to
get other students to come.

Sharon Kazmierski

Sharon Kazmierski, Listowner, Latinteach & Latin E-mail Discussion Forums
New on the Latinteach Website: Wendy Brazil's "Horatius et Pons" and
Linda Fleming's Updated "Useful Quotes from Catullus"
http://www.geocities.com/Athens/Styx/1790/index.html