From:
laurie wheeler <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 18 Nov 1998 18:19:34 PST
Dr. Rob,
I, too, give anticipatory guidance re maternal meds in my bf prenatal
classes. I give the info about the time that I debunk some dietary
myths, answer questions about caffeine and etoh, and how much to worry
about the quality of their diets and whether they need to take their
prenatal vits, etc.
I share a true story (w/o naming any names) like this recent one:
a mom of a 1 wk old had an eye infection. the ob referred her to an
opthalmologist who prescribed a steroid and sulfa med in eye gtts to be
used in affected eye only. the mom was told she must wean and "pump and
dump" x 10 days. The mom did not question this, however I found this out
on a routine call-back. Luckily the pedi and the pharmacist agreed that
this was not necessary and the mom could cont. to bf. So I share how
such a disaster could happen and to call anytime such advice is given
and even if that particular drug is contraindicated, perhaps another can
be found.

Laurie Wheeler, RN, MN, IBCLC
Hosp. LC
Violet Louisiana, USA