From:
michelle i scott <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 29 Nov 1998 22:03:44 -0500
Think about it lactnetters, why do we need even some of the new MJ
thickened formula?
     Reflux occurs BECAUSE of the introduction of formula into babies whose
bodies are designed for slurping down breastmilk, at reasonable rates and
in reasonable amounts.  So now we can give them age inappropriate solids
after causing reflux by giving formula in the first place.    I see
children with serious eating problems in my job as a consultant for special
needs children, and I can easily say that the reflux is a common
problem--among the bottlefed children.  Some children become so adverse to
food that they don't take any chances with it, and only eat certain foods,
and some have major oral-motor sensory problems which I believe are related
to early reflux.
    How much would you like food if ever since you ate, you had heartburn?
  And how about the damage to the esophageal sphincter, and lower
esophagus?
Just some thoughts...   Michelle Scott, RD,MA,IBCLC  in unseasonably warm
NH where we still haven't had snow in the Mason/Nashua area