From:
Sarah Barnett <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 4 Nov 1998 18:57:49 -0500
By definition- Any breastfed baby's stool that is normal in color and
consistency is not constipation.
        Karo syrup like honey can have botulism spores!  And since
when is formula good for constipation?  It usually causes it.  My only
concern with a 2 month old would be because infrequent stooling may
sometimes be a result of not quite enough milk.  I would suggest
increasing feeding time/frequency and perhaps expressing after feedings
to increase the supply.  A weight check after 1-2 weeks, and monitoring
of wet diapers would also be a good idea.  Has the mom started hormonal
birth control (at 6 weeks)?  This might have decreased her supply.  If
the weight gain and hydration are good there is most probably nothing
wrong.  A few months ago I tried to find references to infrequent
stooling in older babies and had trouble finding published info, although
there is much anecdotal evidence around that this is normal.

Hope this helps.

Sarah

Sarah Friend Barnett   LLLL, IBCLC
Bronx (New York City), NY  -  [log in to unmask]
" You are not obliged to finish the task,
 neither are you free to neglect it."       R. Tarfon