From:
The Jones Family <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 8 Jan 1999 00:45:14 -0700
Jan, Nikki (read on), and all

I'm several days behind, so forgive me if I'm repeating information that
has already been discussed.

Nikki Lee describes having asked "if breastfeeding was comfortable (once
first-minute latch-on pain had faded), . . . if she was enjoying her
baby, . . . if the baby was smiling, urinating, stooling or passing
flatus, and waking spontaneously , both to feed and to look around
(quiet alert state).  If these questions were answered in the
affirmative, breastfeeding was deemed to be satisfactory."

Lee, Nikki, RN, MSN, IBCLC, ICCE, "Observations Based Upon Multiple
Telephone Contacts with New Breastfeeding Mothers," Journal of Human
Lactation, June, 1997.

One thing I found quite interesting was Nikki's observation that a few
babies would "clear their meconium and then remain stoolless for days."
She describes one baby who gained an average of 3/4 oz./day from day
3-day 23, but did not stool at all from day 4 to day 17.  Nikki says all
the non-stooling babies "was extremely flaturlent, which always proved
to be a positive predictor that stool would arrive."

Nikki relates having called these mothers every day the first 4-5 days
(apparently up to 7 days for some--(through the "milk surge"--hadn't
noticed that term before, Nikki, but I like it--have been looking for a
replacement for "the milk coming in"), 3 times a week for next 2 weeks,
then an average of 1-3 times a month as needed for the next few months.

Conclusion to this article, though slightly off-topic for the current
thread, included an 86% breastfeeding rate at the end of the first month
in this predominantly low-income population.  Another interesing tidbit
(you all should really read the article; it's very good) was that only
12-16% of the mothers initiated calls to the LC even though they were
given her home phone number.

Anyway, those are other possibilities for screening questions.  Maybe
Nikki has further comments; she is on-line with us.

--
Bonnie Jones, RN, ICCE, IBCLC
from the sunny S.W. USA