Date:
Fri, 13 Nov 1998 10:02:08 -0600
Cindy shares with us:

>A hormone released during pregnancy and nursing appears to greatly enrich
areas of >the brain involved in memory and learning, animal studies show.

And Jan B says:

>Now we know why mothers are SO good a multi-tasking!!!

>These findings contradict another study from
>the University of Southern California that showed pregnant women
>performed poorly on cognitive tests.

Yes, we have enhanced memory and learning, and are SO good at
multi-tasking.  And these vital life skills cannot me measured by cognitive
tests offered by the U of SC. It's an insult to even think that it could.
It takes a whole different array of brain functions to take on the job of
Mother.

If you want to read my thoughts on Mother's Brain you can go to the
archives for Week 2 of February 1997 or send to Listserv, Getpost lactnet
1735.  I originally titled the post "Brain Dead Nursers" in response to a
post with that title, but I later changed it to "Mother Time", a better
naming of what I was saying.

Patricia Gima, IBCLC
Milwaukee, Wisconsin, Upper Midwest, USA

mailto:[log in to unmask]