From:
Mary-Anne Taylor <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 13 Nov 1998 15:22:06 -0800
Hi Heather:

I have been working with a group that supports pregnant and parenting adolescents since
July 1991. At that time out of a group of 40 active participants, about 7 were
breastfeeding.  Now in the fall of 1998 I can say the rates are closer to 80%.  We have
an active group of 25-30 mothers at any one time ranging in age from 14 to 20.
Many of the mothers breastfeed for 1 year or more, a few have breastfed for 3+ years.
If the mother is able to get past the first 3-6wks without encountering what she
considers to be insurmountable difficulties, then they go on to breastfeed between 9-12
months.  :)  Since the summer of 1995 I have been offering a breastfeeding peer
counselling training program for the young mothers and I think this has had a large
impact.  There are at any time 3 to 5 mothers active in the group that have taken the 20
hour peer counselling course and offer there support and knowledge to the new or
pregnant moms in the group.
I will be speaking at the baby-friendly launch conference in Vancouver Canada on our
peer counselling program and on La Leche League.  Hope to see some of you there!

Regards

Mary-Anne Taylor
North Vancouver, B.C. CANADA
Coordintor, Breastfeeding Program